Do you have an old TV that you need to dispose of? Perhaps yours has stopped working? Maybe you have recently upgraded to a newer version? No matter what applies, you will need to ensure that you dispose of your old TV in a safe manner. One thing you definitely should not do is simply throw it out with the trash. This is because televisions contain harmful toxic chemicals like cadmium, lead, and mercury. Not only do these chemicals damage the environment, but they can pose a serious threat to human health as well. So, read on to discover the various options you have when it comes to disposing of your old TV safely.
- Give your old TV to someone else – If you television is still in working order, you should consider giving it to someone else. You may no longer have a need for your old TV, but you can rest assured that there will be plenty of lower income families that would love to own your old television. You could also consider asking any local schools if they would like your TV or you could donate it to charity.
- Return your old TV to the manufacturer – Under the WEEE Regulations (Waste Electronic and Electrical), manufacturers are required to have a service in place to help customers with e-waste such as TV and laptop disposal. Thus, you should contact your manufacturer to discuss the options that are available. If you are buying a new television, the company you purchase the TV from should be able to take your old one, even if they did not supply you with it in the first place. This is because you are buying on a like-for-like basis, and, again, this is something that is touched on in the WEEE regulations.
- Sell your television – Another option if your television works and is in good condition is to sell it. You will be able to make a little bit of money, and you will have someone who comes and takes the television off your hands.
- Hire a professional e-waste disposal company – This is one of the best options to consider. When you hire an e-waste company, you can have the peace of mind that everything is being taken care of properly. You can be sure that your television is disposed of in a safe manner, and you can also know that trained professionals who have experience and the necessary tools are working on the disposal of your television set.
- Reuse the television yourself – Are you sure that you don’t have a need for your old tv set? Perhaps you could place it in your bedroom, or you could fix it to the wall into the kitchen? That way, you can watch television while you cook dinner every evening. Nowadays, more and more households have more than one television so holding on to it is something you may want to consider.
If you choose one of the five options that have been mentioned, you can have the peace of mind that you have dealt with our old television in a green manner.