Halogen ovens are great devices which will save you time and money – as well as delivering delicious meals.
They use a halogen light as the heat source, which delivers rapid, intense heat – hence the “halogen” tag.
Also included is a fan to circulate air. This ensures that the heat is evenly distributed and helps to cook your food to perfection.
Halogen ovens fit right on the countertop in your kitchen. As you can see from the image above right, they consist of a stand, a large glass bowl and a lid. The lid houses the halogen light, the fan and the controls.
The controls are very easy to use. Just choose the temperature you want, set the timer and you’re all set. Come back when it pings and serve up the meal!
Benefits of Halogen Ovens
So why do you need one more gadget in your kitchen? After all, you already have a conventional oven and a microwave. What can a halogen oven offer?
Well, to cut a long story short, halogen ovens are very versatile and fast. Unlike a microwave, you can cook anything in a halogen oven that you would normally cook in a traditional oven – but faster. Speeds are closer to microwave oven speeds for many types of food.
You can roast, bake, boil, broil, steam and air-fry food in a halogen oven. Roast chicken, turkey, beef and gammon. Steam fish or vegetables. Bake cookies, muffins and biscuits.
You can, quite literally, use your halogen oven for anything that you would normally do in your main oven. Or, if you like, you can just use it like a microwave and heat up ready meals, leftovers, cook “fast food” like pizza or prepare oven chips. They really are amazingly versatile.
And there are many other benefits as well. Here’s a short list:
- Halogen, infrared and convection cooking means cooking is very quick.
- Instant heat from the halogen lamp means no waiting for your oven to heat up.
- Cook anything that you would in a conventional oven. Roast, bake, boil, broil, steam and fry.
- No need to add oil or fat – your meals will be healthy.
- The small, efficient oven means that less energy is used – save up to 75% compared with a traditional oven.
- Keep an eye on your food as it cooks. No need to let the heat out by opening the oven door.
- Cook an entire meal in a single container.
- Compact – takes up about the same space as a microwave and fits easily on your kitchen counter.
- Most models have a “self cleaning” function. These ovens are really easy to clean.
Here’s a short video which might help to give you some idea of what a halogen oven can do for you (love the 1960’s style voice over):
Halogen Oven vs. Microwave
I know that a lot of people will ask “why would I want a halogen oven when I already have a microwave?”. It’s a fair question, we all have plenty of labor saving gadgets in our homes already.
Speaking from personal experience, the big difference between the two devices is that most people use their microwave ovens for heating up already prepared food. The halogen oven is much better for cooking with – although, thanks to its versatility, you can just use it for heating up or defrosting food.
So, if all that you want is the convenience of heating already prepared food quickly, a microwave might be just what you need. If, on the other hand, you want to actually cook great meals (and quickly) then you really need to have a look at a halogen oven.